Friday 24 October 2008

It Wasn't Too Bad

Well Wednesday wasn't too bad after all.  I knew in advance that there would be no power for most of the day, so I was able to prepare myself.  I don't know about you out there in blog land, but the thought of being without my laptop and access to the internet sends a shudder down my spine.

I managed to hang on and not light the fire as it was a beautiful sunny day, the sun warmed up the south side of the house.  I finally gave up reading my book at 3pm as the small print and low light was giving me a headache.  I took myself off to the local supermarket and did a bit of non vital shopping.  When I got back an hour and a half later the electricity was back on hurrah!

I made a chilli con carne for tea which everyone loved.  I had loads of comments about the depth of taste.  All I had done differently was to add a couple of good slugs of red wine.  It wasn't until I was half way through the meal that I remembered that we had run out of red wine a while ago, and as I don't drink, I had forgoten to restock.  All of my friends drink white wine and I've always got plenty of that for them.  I realised that I had used a bottle of wine that had been gifted to us to celebrate our 30th anniversary. I began to feel a little uneasy, but consoled myself that the wine might have cost about 10 or 15 pounds.  How wrong I was, I had used a 1999 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes Domaine de Marcoux 1999 which comes in a slightly under £77 ($125).  Still it was a flippin' good chilli.
 
Let it be our little secret.

2 comments:

  1. Now that's a true gourmet chili! LOL!!! I have never tried red wine in mine, I always add beer (this is Texas after all!) but I may have to try this. Glad you made it through your powerless day, and have a great weekend!
    Hugs,
    Vicki in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I am coming to eat at your house from now on!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to read them

Merry Christmas

Customize a greeting