Tuesday 11 November 2008

Thank You

Many thanks to all who sent birthday wishes to me yesterday, it really made my day. I had a really 'wicked' birthday weekend I couldn't have asked for better. I laughed until I cried, ate until I thought I was going to burst and cried because I didn't want the weekend to end.

The 'Granary', was super. All the bedrooms had en-suit and the rooms were beautifully furnished. The only snag was that the place was huge so we were all exhausted having to walk miles to get from the kitchen to the bedrooms!

The weather wasn't too bad on Friday and Saturday and we managed to have a fireworks display on the Saturday evening as planned. We roasted a huge leg of pork and we ate it on soft rolls with homemade stuffing and apple sauce, yum! Then we all piled outside for the fireworks. We asked the neighbouring house if they wouldn't mind if we set off a few fireworks and they said it was okay, but I don't think they expected the show of pyrotechnics we put on, they where awesome. We had only one misfortune when the stick of one of the rockets snapped off and only went up about 20 feet, arghhh my ears are still ringing!

Earlier in the day we went to Ironbridge, Telford in Shropshire, the birthplace of the "Industrial Revolution" and the site of the first iron bridge in the world which was built in 1777-79 by Abraham Darby III and designed by Thomas Pritchard in 1775. I didn't go over the bridge because I have a phobia of bridges! But I did take some photo's and so did Lonnie my daughter. Here is a stunning view of the bridge looking over the river Severn.

Iron Bridge Shropshire, England
I'll post a few more photo later in the week as I haven't had time to go through them all yet.

Sunday was very wet and windy so we decided to stay in, some of us played cards, others just chilled and read or watched TV and kept the fire fed with logs. We all chipped in to make tea as we didn't want to go out into the awful weather.  It's amazing what you can do with a bit of Bree, pate, cold leftover baked potatoes, sausages and onions.  We made a meal for 15 for pennies and there was plenty of it to.

The journey home was hell though as the fields and roads were flooded, trees were down and there were a number of accidents on the road.  It took over three hours to get back to Hampshire.  But it was all part of the adventure and certainly something for us to talk about over supper for months to come.

Next year we want to go to the Cotswold's, we have our work cut out for us though as there will be 19 of us going in 2009.

I can't wait, I love my family so much!

Hugs

3 comments:

  1. Your photos are GEORGEOUS Susie. Glad to hear you had a wonderful trip and birthday. Can't wait to see more photos. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Happy Birthday. It sounds like you had the absolute BEST time. The photos are amazing! I want to go there! You are a lucky woman to have such a tight knit family! A large group of people can be so much fun - and who doesn't love fireworks. Our July 4th celebration gets pretty crazy at the lake where we stay. The fireworks show is put on by the town, then the various residents around the lake do their own pyrotechnics until about 1:30 AM. It is always quite a show!

    So glad your birthday was a happy one!

    eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - I LOVE your photos gallery. So many surprises on Miss Susie2Shoes site. I love it!

    Oh, and even though you took the follower widget off, I still get to follow you because it never went away on my page... makes it easy to know when you have posted. I am working on a post today, but feeling a little gray, so it may have to wait until tomorrow. Have a good one S2S!!!

    big hugs,

    eila

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to read them

Merry Christmas

Customize a greeting